Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Couple Earn Associate Degrees Together

Husband and wife Jeremy and Beverly King of Arab share a home, share parenting of their three children, and now share a milestone achievement for them both – earning an Associate degree from Snead State Community College.

The couple dropped out of high school but made the decision together to complete their education because of the inspiration they received from their children.

“Jeremy and I have been married for 14 years. It was a very unique situation because when we married, I had a 5-year-old daughter, and he was raising a 5-year-old son and 6-year-old daughter. They all started kindergarten the same day. They all graduated high school on the same day last May,” said Beverly.

 The couple earned their GEDs, and they made the decision to enroll at Snead in 2008. At the time, Jeremy was operating a small construction business as a roofing contractor, a field he had worked in since he was 16. Beverly was a stay-at-home mom, staying busy with the schedules of their three children. 

“I always wanted to return to school and earn a college degree. When my children were finally in high school, I knew it was the best opportunity to begin classes,” she said.

“My wife definitely encouraged me the most. If she says she is going to do something, that is it; you can count on it. We looked at each other for encouragement,” Jeremy said.

“The industry I work in is extremely difficult,” Jeremy continued. “It is very physically demanding. While it is still something I plan on doing for a long time, it is not really a job I will be able to do at 70 years old. I started thinking a lot more about my future. I really wanted to be an example to my children. I am happy to say, two of my children are also students at Snead, and everyone in our household is a college student!”

The Kings started to college gradually by taking some part-time courses through Snead State’s Arab Center. The journey to receive their Associate degree has been a memorable one full of challenges and unique experiences.

“Our biggest challenge was most definitely this semester,” said Beverly. “We both took 16 credit hours, and we had our most advanced classes with a load that was more than the (minimum requirement for) full time. We both have a 4/0 GPA and wanted to keep that. Statistics was the hardest class – hands down.”

Jeremy said one unique experience was sharing some classes with their two children who are currently enrolled at Snead. “We had all of the same classes for the spring semester. I thought it would be weird to sit in a classroom with my own kids, but it wasn’t strange at all. We teased them about it, hoping to get a rise out of them. It did not bother them in the least.”

But the experience that tops them all came this semester as Jeremy and Beverly prepared to end their time as Snead State students.

“Our best experience at Snead outside of the classroom was picking up our cap and gown at the bookstore and ordering our honor cords. It was really special to be able to do that together, and it was the first time it began to sink in. I know it is really going to be wonderful to walk and get our diplomas together,” Jeremy said.

While their children will return to Snead in the fall, Jeremy and Beverly will transfer to Athens State University to continue their pursuit of Bachelor degrees. Both are majoring in management with a minor in acquisition and contract management. Their goal is to one day work in civil service, hopefully for the U.S. Army.

Like many non-traditional students, the Kings had their own ideas of what college would be like before they enrolled, but they soon realized Snead State was different from their expectations.

“I expected Snead to be packed with teenagers. When I arrived at my night class, it was half-filled with older adults. I was surprised by how many in the classroom were actually returning students.

“I was also surprised by some of the financial options. I attended Snead for quite some time assuming I would not qualify for a scholarship. After talking to the financial aid office, we both applied for and were awarded scholarships,” said Jeremy.

“Academically, math intimidated me the most. It had been so long since I actually used any math that I learned in school. It did take a lot of work, but it was very doable. I loved watching the videos online. It made online classes seem much more like being in the classroom,” said Beverly.

“The most intimidating part is the process. Once you talk to someone on campus, it will help you form a plan of action,” she continued. “You don’t really have to have all the answers. You just need to ask the questions. They have so many people who will go out of their way to help you. They want to see you succeed.”

“College classes are very different than they used to be,” Jeremy added. “There is a lot of flexibility. There is no way I could have returned to school while working and raising three kids if my only options were traditional hours on the main campus. Luckily, I had the option of online classes, night classes, local campus classes, and the main campus. A lot of older students feel they have waited too long and won’t be able to learn the material. My wife and I are both graduating with honors. There is also a great advantage with age – maturity.”

The couple encouraged other adults not to let anything stand in the way of achieving their dreams of a college education. Students who complete their associate degree or certificate can expect to earn as much as $8,000 more per year and about $400,000 more in a lifetime than a high school graduate. Unemployment for community college graduates is typically 30 percent lower than for high school grads.

“People with an Associate degree are more likely to earn their Bachelor degree. It is also a personal accomplishment that no one can take away from you,” said Jeremy and Beverly King.

The couple will participate in Snead State’s spring Commencement ceremony on Thursday, May 10, at 5 p.m. at the Plunkett-Wallace Gymnasium.

No comments:

Post a Comment