Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Snead State Student Accepted to Pharmacy School

A Snead State Community College student is one step closer to achieving her professional goal of giving back to her community.

Katie Farris of Boaz was accepted into pharmacy school at Samford University and will begin taking classes in this field in August.

“I’m very excited to start classes. I can’t wait to be in Birmingham and be surrounded by driven students like myself. I’m also very excited because this is essentially the beginning of my career,” Ms. Farris said.


Ms. Farris’ decision to pursue pharmacy as a career was due in large part to her parents. “I wanted to be in the medical field and be able to help people. Both of my parents are nurses, and their careers influenced my decision to go medical. However, I’m not one for blood and guts!”

Prior to enrolling at Snead, she graduated from the Alabama School of Mathematics and Science in Mobile. She is set to graduate from Snead this spring.

“Snead has been very helpful in preparing me for further education. I have had the greatest teachers who are always there for any kind of help. Every teacher I have had has been personally invested in my success. I do not think I would be successful without their help and support. That (slogan) ‘small enough to know your name, large enough to shape your future’ is no joke,” Ms. Farris said.

“I’d like to thank (Biology/Chemistry Instructor) Dr. (Susie) Humphries and all of the TRiO staff for their help and support. They are the best!”

Once she completes her pharmacy degree, she will have to decide in which field of pharmacy she would like to work, but she already knows she will return home to work and serve her community.

“I am very excited and proud of Katie,” said Dr. Humphries. “She has worked very hard at Snead, and I know she’ll work even harder at Samford. Acceptance into the Pharmacy School is very competitive, so this accomplishment certainly speaks to Katie’s dedication and willingness to pursue her career goal.”

No comments:

Post a Comment